On Wednesday, June 20th from 9 am to 9 pm EST, Blue Key supporters are taking over Twitter once again to support refugees!
We want to encourage as many people as possible to take action on World Refugee Day — June 20th — to raise awareness for refugees.
The main ways anyone can get involved include:
- Change your twitter/facebook profile photo to a Blue Key.
- Take a pledge to stand with Angelina Jolie as she raises awareness for refugees!
- Order a Blue Key for yourself or a friend
- Download a print-at-home sticker sheet of Blue Keys to wear and share with friends! (PDF here). Use label sheets compatible with Avery 5160 (found in most office supply stores.)
- Watch UNHCR’s series of “Dilemma” videos to put yourself in a refugee’s shoes.
- Watch and share best-selling author Khaled Hosseini’s World Refugee Day video.
- Text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR. (Messaging/data rates may apply. Terms: mgive.org/t )
About the Tweetathon:
A tweetathon is a fun way of supporting the Blue Key campaign and giving refugees a voice. Just like in a good old-fashioned telethon, we’re going to talk #WorldRefugeeDay all the way from 9 am – 9 pm ET that day.
All you have to do to participate is visit http://twitter.com/search/%23worldrefugeeday and tweet a message of support for refugees using the #WorldRefugeeDay hashtag.
*Please post your Twitter handle in the comments below so we can look for you!
To prepare, just make sure you’re following @UNRefugeeAgency (that’s us). Then, whenever you can on June 20th, sign into Twitter and follow the #WorldRefugeeDay hashtag to participate in the conversation.
You don’t have to tweet the whole time — just whenever you have a few minutes to chat!
Here are a few copy-and-paste tweets you can use… but please be sure to get creative as well! We’d love to hear why you support refugees, how you’re making a difference, and your ideas for celebrating World Refugee Day.
- Please RT: In honor of #WorldRefugeeDay, text REFUGEES to 50555 to donate $10 to USA for UNHCR. Terms: mgive.org/t
- If you believe 1 family forced to flee is too many, join #AngelinaJolie in spreading compassion for #Refugees! http://ow.ly/aRojc
- Every minute, 8 people flee home to escape conflict/persecution. If you believe even 1 is too many, get a #bluekey http://ow.ly/aTTQa
- YOU can hold the #bluekey to a better future for 43 MILLION #refugees around the world. Here’s how: http://ow.ly/71nsH
- Each minute 8 people are forced to flee war/conflict. Watch these videos; put yourself in their shoes http://ow.ly/bBnxC
- “Kite Runner” author Khaled Hosseini says “anyone can be a refugee” http://ow.ly/5d59P Your $5 #bluekey could help change that. Get 1 now!
- If conflict threatened your family, what would you do? Could you survive? Download UNHCR’s new mobile app http://rfg.ee/aEjki #refugees
Connect With Us
- Alek Wek's Journey Home
- blue key
- blue key champions
- Corporate Partnerships
- Photo Friday
- refugee awareness
- refugee news
- refugee stories
- staff stories
- UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Angelina Jolie
- UNHCR Goodwill Envoy Khaled Hosseini
- UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie
- World Refugee Day
Tags#bluekey angelina jolie awareness bloggers blue key Blue Key champions children dadaab donate egypt ethiopia families famine help horn of africa how to help how to help refugees kenya libya photos refugee refugee awareness refugees refugee stories resettlement show support social media somalia south sudan sudan support symbol tunisia tweetathon twitter UNHCR united nations united states UN refugee agency USA USA for UNHCR video videos women world refugee day